Chosen a cat or kitten? Help get your home set up for your pet with our expert advice.
Welcoming a new cat or kitten into your home is an exciting experience, and can be the beginning of a wonderful companionship. Adopting a cat also comes with a lot of change for both of you. Our guide on planning for your new cat will help you make the transition as smooth as possible.
How to plan and prepare for your new cat
Once you’ve decided to give a cat a home, it’s time to prepare your home for their arrival. You’ll need to make sure you leave enough time to make adequate preparations, as well as to go shopping for everything they need.
The most important thing your cat needs is a quiet, comfortable and secluded space of his or her own. It could be a spare bedroom or a cosy space in the corner of your living room. This will make sure your cat becomes familiar with one space before exploring the rest of your home.
Choosing pet insurance
Not all pet insurance offers the same thing and it is important to look into the type of policy. When looking for insurance, consider the following:
• What is the excess for veterinary fees?
• Will the insurer pay the vet directly?
• Does the policy lifetime cover, or is this excluded after 12 months?
• Does the policy cover congenital, hereditary, dental and behavioural conditions?
• Will your premium increase if you make a claim?